-
October 25th, 2001, 02:06 AM
#1
crimsonson
Guest
This is one of th best written nd shot dramas in TV right now. Just great!
Anybody saw the episode last night about Blood Diamonds? Another good one IMHO.
Well, my question is does anybody know what film stock they use? The look of the shot is great and I think they use Fuji stocks not Kodak.
And your thoughts on last night's episode and the show in general whould be appreciated.
Thanx.
------------------
-
October 25th, 2001, 02:45 AM
#2
MovieStuff
Guest
I could not agree more. Law and Order is like a class in Film Making 101. Cuts, fades, no music. Hit the mark. Say the line. Tell the story. Just great. I really like the new spin off "Criminal Intent" with my favorite actor Vincent DiNofreo (did I spell that right?)
The guy is a chameleon. (did I spell THAT right?!!)
Roger
-
October 25th, 2001, 09:35 AM
#3
mattias
Guest
post questions like these on alt.movies.cinematography, and david mullen will have the answer, no doubt.
/matt
-
October 25th, 2001, 10:08 PM
#4
crimsonson
Guest
When I was in college they used my school twice for some shooting and an acquiantance of mine was an extra - got paid $100 for it.
What impress me more are the opening shots. They sometimes have a 45 sec shot. Using a SteadyCam and a lot of great choreography. They are able to set the mood, give exposition, describe the gruesome crime(s) and throw in a couple of funny one liners. All this before the first cut!!
Also, the first 8(?) seasons is in A&E and the last few one is in TNT. I think I saw at least 95% of all the episodes. Love watching repeats.
Maybe if this filmmaking thing does not work out I can always fall back on my major (Poli Sci) and be a D.A. 
------------------
-
October 26th, 2001, 12:04 AM
#5
MovieStuff
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crimsonson:
What impress me more are the opening shots. They sometimes have a 45 sec shot. Using a SteadyCam and a lot of great choreography. They are able to set the mood, give exposition, describe the gruesome crime(s) and throw in a couple of funny one liners. All this before the first cut!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, they do this to save time as well. Even with all the choreography and such, shooting a scene like that takes very little time compared to the multiple set ups that would be needed for complete coverage on sticks. Barry Levinson used the same technique on Homicide: Life on the Street and as much said exactly that. He said that if they didn't shoot hand held documentary style, etc, they would never get the show done on time because the scripts were so long compared to most TV scripts. West Wing also uses that technique a lot. Marvelous shots of people walking through the corridors of the White House. In my memory, the earliest example of this technique for a regular show would be Hill Street Blues in the station house. Those shots were generally on a dolly but still very effective.
Roger
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks